Thursday, March 24, 2011

semantics

A quick thank you to Ray Beeze for the Twitter shout-out!  You should check out his Tweets - I promise you'll either laugh out loud or wonder "do people really think this way??"  Or both.  And the answer is YES - they do.  Well, he does, anyway.  And I should add he's a rather handsome fella... but I digress.

Semantics.  So, when I say "Technically Healthy," you also gotta know that I'm not a t-totaller by any stretch of the imagination.  It's Girl Scout Cookie season - in this house, we eat us some Girl Scout cookies!  We eat pizza, and sometimes we even have a soda (gasp!).  The Best Girl in the World takes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to school for lunch.  She gets to live a kid's life.  BUT - in that sandwich, she has natural peanut butter and "reduced calorie" jelly (not the kind with artificial sweeteners... just literally half the sugar).  And no HFCS (high fructose corn syrup).  A lesson for another day - know your food allergies and intolerances.  We'll revisit that at a later date...   

I'm not saying everyone should eat sprouts... although you probably should because they are crazy nutritious.  ;)  But even kids LOVE nutritious food when that's what they are offered, and the behavior is modeled for them (ahem!  this means you eat your veggies, too!).  How many kids do you know that order sushi in a sushi joint?  I know two - The Best Girl in the World and her best bud Miss D.  These beautiful, bright girls have grown up being offered healthy foods and they enjoy them.  They order hummus at the Greek restaurant and ask for veggies at dinner time.   

You gotta live a little, too.  My work friends think I'm a total health nut.  Trust me - there are some folks out there that are WAY more nutty than I am when it comes to food.  We try to eat healthy, and we also enjoy treats.  It's all about balance.  I've learned that lesson well over the last few years.

Technically Healthy.

So if you're new to this whole "healthy" thing, let's just take it one day at a time.  Here's your first official health tip from your new Technically Healthy friend:

Live.  Laugh.  Love.

Breathe in the spring air (if the sun ever comes back).  The next tip will be a little more involved.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I actually love sprouts! Though I admit they tend to be covered in Chas' yummy gravy when I do eat them. LOL!

    I hope we can teach Emily to enjoy good food. She does, at this point, only like vegetables for her jars of baby food. She's not a huge fan of applesauce or even bananas! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sprouts, too!!! On a salad or in a turkey sandwich - those are my favorite ways to enjoy them. :)

    You know, the truth is that no matter what you do, some kids just DO NOT like certain things. Some kids (like The Best Girl in the World) are shape-oriented. So, if it's not round, they ain't eating it. The best chance you have at having a kid who eats healthy food is 1) offer her healthy foods - easy peas-y, lemon squeezy, right? And 2) model the behavior. If she sees you guys eating it, she'll think it's normal. Best of luck - you guys are awesome parents, so she'll be FINE no matter what.

    ReplyDelete