As I was packing my running shoes in my suitcase, thought "let's be serious... there's no way I'm gonna go for a run at Disney World." Prime opportunity - a one mile walking/running trail around the hotel AND a built-in babysitter. Sigh. Yeah, I know myself, and I'm not gonna go for a run after walking all over creation everyday. So instead, I'm focusing on my meals, and I've been reading articles about eating well while traveling. I thought I would share some of that with you before we leave.
This article from 2009 has some great tips for flying, road trips, and for eating out (on vacation or not!). Some of the highlights:
- Avoid the “special” sauce. At a restaurant, the “special” sauce usually comes on a meal that is loaded with calories of little nutritional value. Also avoid fried or battered foods.
- Get an appetizer. Appetizers are often smaller than regular meals. Order an appetizer and then ask that it come with the meal. The same is true of a side. Perhaps order a small appetizer and a side salad or soup, instead of getting an entree.
Here's a pretty good wikiHow that has some good tips, too.
My approach - drink lots of water, avoid fried foods like the plague, and eat salads whenever I can. One of these days we'll talk about how to build a healthy salad (yes, there's such a thing as an UNhealthy salad), but for now I'm going to enjoy my morning coffee and finish packing our bags. I hope you have a wonderful week!!!
Enjoy your trip my friend!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, love! Will have lots of piccies for you when we return. :)
ReplyDelete