Wednesday, April 6, 2011

North Carolina SB 31

Over the years, I've become skeptical of the government's approach to healthcare and increasingly suspicious of Big Pharma's grip on the American society.  SB 31 in North Carolina is one of those bills that adds fuel to that fire.

Senator Mansfield (who sponsored the bill) insists that the legislation is intended to punish those who come into the state of North Carolina and attempt to practice medicine without a license.  Noble enough, especially considering the guy who was caught posing as a doctor in a NC emergency room last year.  The problem arises with the wording of the bill.  If you tend to be a little suspicious of the medical community as I am, you have to stop and think about what this could mean for other practitioners.

Mike Adams of Natural News reports that this questionable wording of SB 31 could actually open a door to charging certain practitioners as felons.  I don't want to be an alarmist here, so you can tell me how you interpret this:

Any person who practices medicine or surgery without being duly licensed and registered... shall be guilty of a Class I felony.  (Source)


Now, keep in mind... like many other states (mine included) NC does not license holistic practitioners to practice medicine at all.  So, you're beginning to see the predicament here.  We're confronting a situation in which naturopaths, homeopaths, herbalists, midwives, and aromatherapists could potentially be charged with a Class I felony... the same class for those who burn crosses or sexually exploit children.  Think of the precedent this could set across our great country.

I'm not asking that everyone participate in holistic healing opportunities - all I'm asking for is freedom of choice for my own healthcare and that of my family.  Freedom - isn't that what our country was founded on?  Extremist groups have the freedom to practice their hate-filled lifestyles here on our soil.  But, if an herbalist promises to heal a headache with Feverfew, they are a felon.  Unbelievable.

I've just recently enrolled in school again to pursue my ND (Doctor of Naturopathy).  My state's laws will not permit me to call myself a "Naturopath" or to "heal" or "cure" anyone.  I will, however, be able to practice as an "alternative healthcare consultant" and offer recommendations to people for general health.  It's silly to me, as I have seen many conditions of my OWN "healed" or "cured" through these same approaches, so there's no doubt in my mind.  But, I'll pay along if that means I have a way to offer people choices in their care.  But a felony?  Really??  As long as we live in a country that robs us of choices in our healthcare, we will always be the sickest society in the world.  And as long as sickness is BIG business - you can bet Big Pharma will choose to keep making $$$ over the health of our people.

In the wise words of the Beastie Boys, you gotta fight... for your right... ok so maybe they weren't talking about protecting their health freedoms, but I think they would even agree.  :)

Be well...

No comments:

Post a Comment